Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Utopia Forum >
Public Discussions > Computer Help
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Share

Old 01-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Admin

Dude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the rough
Default Domain Name Backorder

Hey Hobby,

I need your help, there are 3 large companies that grab most of the expired domain names when then drop.

but recently I have noticed there is a new company, called backorderzone, they have not been in business that long but somehow they are able to grab domain names away from the other companies.

What I need you to do is write a program that will grab these names once they drop before the other sites are able to get them, just like backorderzone is doing.

If you can register a name when it drops before anyone else then it costs you probably something like $5.

Then you let people bid on the names and they can go for $10,000 or more,
then we can split difference between the $5 the name costs us and the $10,000 we sold it for.

[FAQ]

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.
~Pulp Fiction
Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Respected VIP

Hobbyist is an unknown quantity at this point

Several reasons this project has big problems.. first registrars sell this kind of access, the first organization to get access to expired names is not the one who just happens to notice the name has expired. I'm fairly sure that there are companies (the ones you've noticed) that prearrange for any of a whole swath of names to be transfered to them if they ever expire. I'm pretty sure the registrar charges them for this service.

Second, and most importantly, hammering away on registrar info will get you blocked in a matter of hours I'm absolutly sure. This will be absolutely for sure if you are going through a 3rd party (whois.com, etc) site who is worried themselves about get blocked by the registrars involved.

Third, I don't think $10,000 names drop very often.. the ones that drop accidently may be from bussiness with really bad IT guys but if they refer to a copyrighted name (Cocacola.com, etc) then the copy right holder has had the right sick thier lawyers on you and simply take it back for a long time now (15+ years at least).

You aren't the first to come up with this idea.. you would be an absolute newbie in a cutthroat business.. cybersquating has been around for years..
Code:
http://andrewpavelski.com/2011/07/24/cybersquatting-expired-domains-acquirethisname-com-enom-inc-always-renew-your-domain-to-avoid-cybersquatters/
Lots of work and I don't see the potential. sorry
Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Admin

Dude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the rough

I am only interested because somehow backorderzone figured out how to do it within a few months, so since they are doing it I know it is possible to do.

When I talked to them they said last week a $7000 name dropped and they got it, and I know of a name that was worth between $10k and $20k that dropped a couple weeks ago.
I admit it is a small sample size, but it looks like there are enough big ticket names dropping to keep me happy.
and somehow these companies have figured out a way to keep trying to catch the names and not get blocked, so there must be some way to do it.

I was just thinking if I could run some software and make $7,000 or $10,000 every few weeks, I would be very happy.

[FAQ]

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.
~Pulp Fiction