Go Back   The Utopia Forum >
Public Discussions > The Lounge
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply Share

Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM

johnisasmith will become famous soon enough
Default Dutch engineer Jarno Smeets flaps his wings, takes flight

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dutch engineer Jarno Smeets appears to have accomplished what many of us only dream of: bird-like flight, complete with flapping wings.

On March 18th, at a park in The Hague, Smeets flew like his muse, the albatross, thanks to Wii controllers, an Android phone and his 37-ounce custom-built fabric wings.

"I have always dreamed about this. But after 8 months of hard work, research and testing, it all paid off," Smeets wrote in the YouTube description.

Wired Science reports that upon completing his monumental 60-second flight, Smeets said, "At one moment you see the ground moving away, and then suddenly you're free, a really intense feeling of freedom. The true feeling of flying. A [bleep] magical moment. The best feeling I have felt in my life."

How does it work?

"Until now people had assumed that it was impossible to fly with bird-like wings using human muscle power. Smeets designed his own system to solve this problem, using two Wii controllers, the accelerometers from a HTC Wildfire S smartphone and Turnigy motors. This combined mechanism provided Smeets with extra power to move his 17m2 wings and allowed him to move his arms freely without any risk of breaking them. The system is a wireless (haptic) concept. The wing itself was built out of a kite and carbon windsurf masts (as flightpins)," details the press release.

See a close-up of the custom wings — and a video on the science behind the flapping wings — at Smeet's site, Human Birdwings.

Some claim it's fake. Others refuse to believe it's anything less than awesome. What do you think?

Yea, desperate times call for desperate measures, with gas price in Holland being one of the highest in the world I can understand his motivation.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:07 AM

JAQUEBAUER is an unknown quantity at this point

THIS IS A HOAX. READ THIS- ‘Bird Man’ Hoaxster Comes Clean on Dutch Television

Code:
 http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/03/birdman-admits-hoax/
Please...no live links

Last edited by Revroy : 03-24-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Coding
Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Admin

Dude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the rough

no way, if you look at those wings, they only go up and down about 2 feet,
no way that would create enough lift to get him off the ground. I doubt they would create any lift at all.

and it's questionable if the wings are large enough to even allow him to jump off a building and guild?

[FAQ]

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.
~Pulp Fiction
Old 03-24-2012, 12:35 AM

johnisasmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
no way, if you look at those wings, they only go up and down about 2 feet,
no way that would create enough lift to get him off the ground. I doubt they would create any lift at all.

and it's questionable if the wings are large enough to even allow him to jump off a building and guild?
C'mon Dude I am sure you have seen bigger men with smaller wings flying, it just has been so long ago. Below is the proof.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Admin

Dude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the roughDude is a jewel in the rough

I think you can fly with smaller wings if you have a laser gun.

[FAQ]

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness.
~Pulp Fiction
Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Admin

Webscout is a jewel in the roughWebscout is a jewel in the roughWebscout is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I think you can fly with smaller wings if you have a laser gun.

....and have lots of GAS...
Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Admin

you would have a better chance of flying with your gas than that guy did with his wings.

[FAQ]

~Pulp Fiction